June 24, 2010

{Standing in line for my new Apple iPhone}

My daughter, my niece, and I woke up at 5:30 in the morning to get to the Cherry Creek Mall because today the new iPhone came out.  Of course as a dad I did not want to miss this opportunity to get the first iPhone on the first day to make my daughter smile.

We got here at the mall at 6:15 and to my utter surprise, we are now sitting in a line behind at least 100 people.  There are other dads and moms here with kids, there business professionals ready to go to office, there are young couples, people with colorful hair, and people from all walks of life standing or sitting in line.  The Apple team is out walking around with bottled water, coffee, and breakfast from Einstein Bros Bagels. As I look around I see there are a few things that are common among all of us.  All of us have either an iPhone or an iPod in hand and some of us are sitting with Macs or iPads on our lap, but there is no one with a pc around. I am starting to understand that this is the coming out of the cult of iPhone followers. All of us could have waited for two weeks to get the new iPhone without any line or wait, but somehow all of us felt it was important to come out and show our support for the favorite “working toy” in our life.  Now that I get it, I am surprised that there is no one who has their face painted; no one has banners to cheer.  I guess we, the iPhone gang, are a group of somewhat quiet introverts who are simply happy to be here.

The store will open at 7a.m. and iPhone sales start at 9a.m.  I am not sure whether I will get the iPhone for my daughter today, but I am glad I am here, out with my daughter and my niece, out with other members of the iPhone gang. I get it. This is what brand insistence is.  We are not here for a phone, we are not here for an upgrade, we are here to celebrate a way of life around our Macs, our iPods, our iPhones, and our iPads that we all discovered in our own ways. Marketing gurus may call it a brand insistence but to me it is truly a way of life.
{Standing in line for my new Apple iPhone}SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be posted promptly after they are reviewed.