January 7, 2010

{Running Another Marathon? Maybe...}

Happy New Year!

Thank you for reading the blog.

This year I woke up on New Years Day started thinking what should be my goal for the year. I went through all the regular resolutions, e.g. eat better, work out, and other things, but nothing stood out. Then my thoughts went back to 2008 New Years Day when I decided to run my first marathon. I know, I know, those of you who know me well and know that I finished at nearly 15 min a mile pace, cannot call my adventure "running". But still, for a then nearly 44 year old to cross the finish line, to me that was an achievement of a lifetime.

But when I think back, the biggest moment that day was not finishing the marathon. As I sluggishly and with doubt and hesitation crossed the starting line, I had one thought in mind. My baby (she was 14 that time) will be at mile 22.5 waiting for me. I had done the math and my ETA to see my daughter was in four and half hours, or sooner if there was any tail wind. I am just kidding about the tail wind, but I really needed any “divine intervention” as referred to by Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction.

My legs were moving, hands too, and I was counting the miles to see Raka. After seventeen miles, when my body was fatigued, and even I could see myself running in slow motion, I was not sure if I could go any further. The maximum I had ever run before was nearly eighteen miles. So could I go further today? My mind was ready to call it a day when the answer came to me. The reason I could do it today is because Raka is waiting for me. She has been waiting for the last four hours waiting for her dad, in anticipation, with worry and full of patience. I could not let her down. Not today.

As all these self motivating and inspiring thoughts came to my mind, I realized the dreaded uphill had started. The next three miles and beyond to get to Raka would be toughest. Instead of a tail-wind, the “divine intervention” had thrown in a challenging head wind in my face. It felt like a dare. My thoughts went back to the days of corporate world when Raka always waited for me patiently. Yes, there were days I let her down. And the count of those let downs were more than a few. I am not proud of those days. But today is a different story. I told myself, “Raka’s dad, move your hands and your legs, as your princess is waiting.”

Raka did not wait at the marker we had planned. She had started walking towards me. When my tired eyes spotted her, I do not know how I found the energy to run towards her. She ran to me and we hugged. There was my baby, in my arms. “I made it Raka,” I told myself, “I did not let you down. Not this time baby.”

Those who saw Raka and I meet tell me that was one of the sweetest things they have ever seen. I nod my head and said, “yep, I know. I know because this time I did not give up.”

Yes, those of you who read the book know that Raka and I walked and eventually crossed the finish line.
As I think of that moment, I feel extremely greedy. Can I do it again? Is it in me to experience that moment of running to my daughter? I do not know, but as I start training, that is the moment I will be aspiring to reach.

Please wish me luck and a lot of tail wind. :)
{Running Another Marathon? Maybe...}SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be posted promptly after they are reviewed.