September 9, 2009

{A Tuesday Lunch with my Daughter}

What a Labor Day weekend it turned out to be! Even though Raka turns 16 on September 15th, I planned her sweet 16th birthday on September 5th, over the Labor Day weekend. Raka’s cousins Smita (from Miami) and Ajita (from Houston), and my cousin Sunuda and his family flew in from Houston for the weekend celebration.

Saturday evening, as we got ready for our dinner at Bistro Vendome in downtown Denver, Raka called me to see if she was dressed appropriately for the occasion. As I stared up from the bottom of the stairs, I saw the most enchanted scene yet in my life. Raka looked simply adorable. I breathed heavy to keep my emotions to myself and nodded as all her friends started pouring in. Initially, I made the reservation for 30 people for dinner, though we had invited nearly 45 people. (I was sure that this being a long weekend, not too many people would show up.) I underestimated Raka’s popularity; 41 out of 45 showed up, it was a good problem for dad to have.

As the evening progressed, I kept looking at Raka. Earlier she was my little princess, now she is a true princess enjoying every moment with her friends. In the middle of dinner, I surprised Raka with the first copy of the book. She smiled and gave me a big hug.

After Saturday’s celebration, the cousins went back home, and Raka and I reluctantly went back to our normal lives. When I was dropping Raka at school on Tuesday morning, she asked me if I could bring her home for lunch. At 11:20 AM I got a call from Raka to pick her from school. She and two other friends came home for lunch and I made grilled cheese sandwiches for them while they started a study group discussion over lunch.

Now I am in my home office, listening to Raka and friends in the dining room. They are studying, they are giggling and enjoying every moment.

As I am catching up on my emails and writing this blog, I feel fortunate (again), pleased, and truly appreciative to be able to be home on a Tuesday and listen to my daughter her friends giggle over lunch while I work.

Isn't life great?
{A Tuesday Lunch with my Daughter}SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

  1. It's an incredible life we live and it's breathtaking when we realize just how fortunate we truly are to have such amazing children to bless our lives with.

    I grok it brother.

    From the heart, thank you for sharing.

    --Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arjun,

    I would not have given those moments up for anyone in this world. You are a wise man.

    Bernice

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be posted promptly after they are reviewed.