September 23, 2009

{Definitely Maybe: Perfect father daughter movie? Definitely maybe not.}

A few weeks back, when Raka had gone to a friend’s house, she started the movie Definitely Maybe but had to come back home before the movie finished. Since then, she has been asking me to get the DVD for her to watch, but somehow, somewhere, I have never remembered.

Today, Raka is not feeling in the best of health and did not go to school. This morning she asked me if I could get for her some dark chocolate and the movie Definitely Maybe. Feeling bad about her being sick, I stopped by at the local Target and WalMart before my meetings downtown. I found the dark chocolate, but not the movie and had to tell Raka that I tried, but could not get it.

All day during my meetings, the movie was bugging me. Hence on the way back, I stopped at Cheapo Disk on Colorado Blvd to look for the DVD. When I found a previously viewed copy I did not waste any time in grabbing it.

On the way back I kept thinking about my childhood. There were days when I would be sick and Maiji (my maternal grandmother) would make my favorite chicken stew and read books to me. Then there was that one instance when my dad brought me my favorite comic book. Somehow, during those sick days, a little bit of extra attention went along way in making me feel better.

Raka had a huge smile on her face as she saw the DVD. She grabbed it and then looked at me and said, “Dad, can we watch this together?”

I picked up the DVD and read the back cover. It is the story of a dad sharing his pre-divorce life with his daughter. Wow, a simply perfect story for Raka and I to watch this afternoon. I said “Definitely Yes.”

UPDATE:

5:40 PM. Watched the first hour of the movie and could not take it. Raka was the first to raise her concern. “Dad, can you believe that the guy is saying all this to his eight year old daughter?” Yes, it is sad and embarrassing that the movie summary targets a father and a daughter, but is hardly a movie a father and daughter can watch together. Oh well! Even if the movie together plan did not work out, the thought was cute. May be we will stick with Disney.


{Definitely Maybe: Perfect father daughter movie? Definitely maybe not.}SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be posted promptly after they are reviewed.